Saturday, March 13, 2010

Domestic side of me...


One of my recent reads, Julie & Julia (Julie Powell) left me deeply inspired and it struck upon me that I have not been baking for at least 8 or 9 years. Surprise? Yes! I do and know how to use an oven without setting the whole house on fire.

During my high school years, I used to bake occasionally, especially during the festive season. Mum was busy working so I decided to bake my own CNY cakes and cookies back then. Furthermore, most of the time I was alone at home (sis was studying overseas and bro was in college). I guess after that, I was too absorbed into life after high school and work that I pushed this domestic side of me aside.

So, few days ago, I was chilling at home, my sis popped a suggestion out of the blue.."Why don't we bake some cookies and cakes of our own?". Psyched at the thought of a 'project' (or better yet, something to do rather than eating and sleeping), we were flipping through Mum's recipe books at the speed of light (my Mama has a knack for buying tonnes of recipe books just for the fun of it. BUT she never cooks or bakes though she knows how to..*laughs*..that's my mum!).

Hence, recipes of choice (a chocolate cake) - my FAV!!!! and (cookie) - cheddar pennies! :-


Since I saw there were some leftover walnuts, modified the recipe a 'lil by adding in walnuts - Chocolate Walnut Fudge!!

* Spent the morning cracking open these nutties! *

* Main ingredients - eggs, sugar, flour *

* Chocolate & butter melted together *

* Oven preheated at moderate heat (350 Fahrenheit) *

* Voila!! *

Next, cookies time. Another simple recipe - Cheddar Pennies!!

* The recipe *

* Luv 'em! *

Decided to throw in a pic of my Green Curry Prawns (my dinner)..*lolz*... Don't you just love unemployment days? Stress-free, relax, do-wat-u-want days... I love it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment