Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Reminiscence of the past ...


My! Oh my!! I just realized that I haven't been blogging for quite a while now. Reason being? The precise answer would be pure laziness, which recently has overtaken my body. *laughs* Anyways, I've been spending most of my time at home, chilling, indulging in some self-reflection and also doing some research for "The Project" (which tentatively I plan to kick-start in June *fingers crossed*). Hopefully all goes well for me ^.^

And of course, I've been nursing my tummy a lot lately with cravings for hometown foods that I have forgotten but used to love in the past.

1. The Old Foodcourt behind The Store (new):-

CHEW KEE WANTAN MEE

* (Top to bottom) Dry wantan mee, Wantan mee in broth and the 'sui kao' (dumplings)*

There I was, deciding on what to have for lunch, when this place struck my mind. Reminiscence of the past brought me back to school days, where my Papa used to love to bring me and my elder sister or brother here for lunch. I remember back then, there was a prawn mee stall opposite this stall. The prawn mee was also among my fav's but ever since they moved to a different location, I struck it off my list because the standards deteriorated tremendously. I realize that this happens all the time, once this type of nice food stalls moves to a new shop or opens a new branch etc, the quality of the food drops. What a pity!!

Btw, during my younger times, I always have the impression that the lady selling 'wantan mee' looks alike my godmother. She has friendly and prosperous features just like my godmother (who also btw, was my nanny). Teehee!! I was a kid then.

FAK KEE NOODLE STALL (2 rows after Chew Kee)


I used to love the fried meat vege ball and the 'kuey teow' soup. Used to come here with 'someone'.

And as I was exiting the foodcourt, I notice this mobile stall at the entrance selling chinese 'kuih-muih'. So I decided to check it out and to my pleasant surprise, I finally found the chinese delicacy (the white one on the left) that I've been craving for aeons. Basically, on the outside, it's made of smooth sticky dough and the filling is made out of glutinous rice. Walked towards my car and drove home with a big smile plastered on my face. What a delight!!

* (Left) The white stuff - No idea what it's called after all these years, (right) radish cake*

* Another one of my favs - 'kao jai' (another kind of chinese dumpling with turnip filling) *

2. Near my parent's office, Senawang: -

* Fried 'kuey teow' *

* 'Loh bak' - fried meat and tofu *

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete