Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Winter festival ('Dong zhi') ...


Winter festival ('Dong Zhi' in chinese) - Chinese people celebrates this day as a mark to welcome the coming New Year. This is when the whole family gathers to have dinner together and eat glutinous rice balls aka. 'tong yuen'.

Basically, my initial plan was to head home to have dinner with Mum and Dad today. However, things don't always go as planned. So, long story cut short, ended up staying at home and cooked up a meal for me and bro.

Upon rummaging through my fridge to see what I have on hand to whip up 'the meal', I figure a simple meal consisting of pork stew, a vege dish and a soup will be sufficient for both of us.

* Pork stew with chinese mushrooms and hard-boiled egg *

* Celery with fishcakes and baby portabello mushrooms *

* Spinach soup *

Oh! And the balls.. *lol* ..I meant the glutinous rice balls, 'tong yuen' .. Mummy made some, and frenny brought it up since she was hanging out in town. After dinner, I distributed half of it to bro and ate mine in a jiffy as it's not something I fancy eating. Totally not a big fan of this stuff.. Just wanted to get it over and done with. After downing the 'balls' *blurghh* .. I realized that I forgot to take a pic of it. Took a substitute pic instead. ^_^

* 'Dong zhi', winter fest. is not complete without these balls - Tong Yuen!! *

Ok! That's all for now. Wiped out from all the cooking and washing. ZZzzz..

No comments:

Post a Comment